The Ministry of External Affairs [MEA] is the foreign ministry or governmental agency responsible for handling the foreign affairs of India. MEA handles all matters relating to international migration, passport, visa, etc. MEA attestation is a mandatory process for immigrating to another country.

All Indian issued documents should be attested from the concerned state department and Ministry of External Affairs before legalizing the document from the embassy of the country one is intending to travel to. Without MEA attestation, you will not get embassy attestation.


You need to legalize the educational certificates issued from India for using them abroad for various purposes. Educational certificate attestation is needed for getting admission in foreign schools and universities and also for getting better employment opportunities abroad.

The main process for getting MEA attestation for Indian issued educational documents are as follows:


HRD attestation: The educational certificate is first attested from the state where the document was issued. HRD attestation is done by the respective state HRD departments. It is done for government-approved educational documents.


MEA attestation: After HRD attestation, the educational document is attested by the Ministry of External Affairs [MEA]. If you are traveling to any Hague Convention member countries, then you are required to get an MEA apostille on your documents.

Once you completed the MEA attestation, the documents are attested from the embassy of the country you are intending to travel to.

Want to know more about MEA attestation, then please visit,